Raised in the rural Western Downs town of Jandowae, Paul excelled at combining his studies and sport, playing junior local and representative cricket for Darling Downs. He then boarded at Toowoomba Grammar School, where in his final year was School Prefect, First XI captain, member of the First XV and selected in the GPS Combined 1st XI Representative Team.
While successfully completing his Bachelor of Commerce degree at the University of Southern Queensland, Paul also received the first Full University Blue for Rugby and had the honour of playing for the touring English cricket team against Queensland.
Once qualified, Paul moved to Brisbane to pursue an accounting career working for both Bentleys MRI and Snelleman Tom, being admitted as a Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA) in 2002. Playing Premier Rugby Union for Norths (1996), GPS (1997 – 2002, Club captain 2001), Australian Combined States U21 and Australian Barbarians in 1996 enabled Paul to develop a strong network of professional contacts.
In 2002 Paul took a sabbatical to the UK, gaining invaluable exposure to different cultures, work practices, travel opportunities and sporting pursuits. He successfully managed to combine senior leadership and strategy roles at Shell (Senior Financial Accountant) and Petro Canada (Senior Business Analyst) with a semi-professional rugby career for London Welsh RFC (2002 – 2004) and player/coach for Barnes RFC (2004 – 2010), captaining Middlesex County in the County Shield final at Twickenham in 2006.
After experiencing a company takeover, forced redundancy and becoming a UK Citizen in 2010, Paul secured a Senior Analyst role based back in Brisbane with Canadian Oil and Gas company Talisman-Energy (progressing to Planning Team Lead for Repsol post a further takeover), with their activities being focussed in the Western Provence of Papua New Guinea. He also became a coach of the University of Queensland Premier Colts Rugby team, winning premierships in 2011 – 2013 and 2015.
After 20 years working for large organisations both in Australia and the UK, it was time to give something back. Leaving a strategic leadership role, Paul saw coaching as a way of guiding others through the ever increasing uncertainty and pressures life presents, similar to those he encountered. Paul is a registered CPA, Associate Member of the International Coach Guild, Member of the Coaching Institute, working towards being an International Accredited Professional Master Coach and currently holds a Blue card for working with children and youths.
Looking to take control and regain some direction… this is where Paul and Mentoris Coaching can help.
What is Coaching and how does it help me?
- Successful people have self belief and certainty around what they stand for and what they value. Coaching will challenge you (in fun way of course) and arm you with the tools necessary to achieve your potential.
- We will be 100% focussed on you and your journey, ensuring your desired outcomes are the target.
- Our conversations and sessions are totally non-judgmental, fully independent and completely confidential. There is no right or wrong answer so don't hold back.
- We'll make it fun as well so be prepared for some laughs
How does Coaching happen?
- Flexible hours based around mutual availability.
- One on One meetings, Telephone and Skype calls.
- You will have outcomes to follow up so have paper and pen with you to capture these items.