Self Belief is the starting point to success
Throughout a corporate career spanning more than 20years, there have been many times where I have chosen to doubt my ability to deliver on expected outcomes. One story that comes to mind was when I was living in London. I was starting a new job and arrived at the office early to make a good impression. To my surprise, as I walked up to the front door, the CFO (my manager) was being escorted from the building. Mmmm so what does this mean, has he done something dodgy, do I follow him, do I still have a job, how am I now going to get my sponsorship to stay... so much uncertainty hit me at that moment.
At that point, I chose to push on in to the office to find out what was happening. It turns out it was a great choice, as the recently vacated CFO role was offered to me... promoted on day 1 and now to fill the shoes of a CFO ! So to walk in to an office where the person who hired you was being walked out and to now take up the CFO role was daunting... how did I do it?
Self Belief.... believing the skills and experience I had at that point was all I needed to take on the challenge. This self belief is something that had been developed over a lifetime of experiences and overcoming challenges. Working hard to get results gave me the confidence in my abilities, regardless of the situation I had found myself in.
Self Belief is important for a number of reasons:
- Believing you are good enough and have all the skills you need right now, allows you to take action... the first step towards being successful
- It allows you to see the options available and have the courage to step up and take any of those options
- Backing yourself, also known as being Self Aware, gives you the confidence to say Yes more often to things that will excite and interest you...
- If you believe in yourself, you are already half way to everyone believing in you... :-)
Should you need to regain your self belief, there are a number of ways to can do that:
- Remember the successes you've had previously and how achieving them made you feel
- Remember that you are good enough to do whatever it is you want
- Surround yourself with people who also want you to be successful and believe them when they tell you you are good enough
- Remember self belief starts with you..... focussing on why you can be successful, get that job, win that business, deliver that presentation is an epic first step
Mastering self belief helps you proactively take action, say yes more often, remain calm in stressful situations and more regularly deliver on your potential. The best thing is that it involves the choices and efforts of one person.... YOU!
Let me know or comment on how you have dealt with self belief and have an awesome week.